Published: Thu, November 15, 2018
Global News | By Stacy Ballard

Couple, homeless man charged with faking story that earned $400K in donations

Couple, homeless man charged with faking story that earned $400K in donations

- A news conference is scheduled for Thursday afternoon by the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office to announce findings in an investigation of a homeless veteran and the couple who raised money for him through a GoFundMe campaign.

The woman, Katelyn McClure, and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, started a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt previous year after sharing a story of how he supposedly offered his last $20 to help McClure when her auto ran out of gas.

McClure and D'Amico later created a GoFundMe page, which went viral, to supposedly pay it forward to Bobbitt.

Sir Elton John stars in John Lewis Christmas ad
The advert titled, "The Boy and the Piano", features Sir Elton John playing his hit " Your Song " and how it's evolved over time. The retailer's employees were the first to see the advert at 6am, and it was released to the public two hours later.


All three are now expected to face charges of conspiracy and theft by deception, the NBC10 source told the station. According to NBC News, D'Amico and McClure surrendered themselves to authorities on Wednesday.

The three initially gained fame in 2017, when the couple created a GoFundMe page claiming that Bobbitt had spent his last $20 to help fill up McClure's gas tank after her auto broke down in a bad part of town.

Bobbitt later accused the couple of withholding the money.

UM Stays At No. 4 In Playoff Rankings
The Knights and Bearcats (9-1) will face off at 8 p.m.at Spectrum Stadium during a contest that will air nationally on ABC. The highest-ranked change came as Central Florida moved from No. 12 to No. 11 after Kentucky lost to Tennessee.


Prosecutors say they will be pursuing jail time in this case.

D'Amico and McClure had previously denied any wrongdoing or misuse of the funds, even as their recent purchase of a used BMW and lavish vacations were called into question in a courtroom.

An attorney for the couple said that $200,000 had gone to Bobbitt - but a superior court judge said that McClure and D'Amico had "misadvised " the attorney and there actually was no money left.

Saudi prosecutor reveals who gave order for Khashoggi’s murder
The commander of the mission allegedly made a decision to murder the prominent journalist if the persuasion failed. Mojeb said Khashoggi died from a lethal injection and his body was dismembered and taken out of the building.


A complaint obtained by NBC10 alleged the trio conspired to make up a fake story to raise money. Bobbitt's attorney said last week Bobbitt was entering a residential program for drug treatment. But Bobbitt became homeless again after D'Amico told him in June that he had to leave the property. Bobbitt later sued the couple, and prosecutors began investigating.

Like this: