Published: Thu, May 18, 2017
Science | By Cecil Little

Barnier will 'leave nothing to chance' over Brexit — European Union

Barnier will 'leave nothing to chance' over Brexit — European Union

The EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, said on Wednesday (17 May) that negotiations between the EU and the United Kingdom should start "as soon as possible, the day after the [UK] elections", which will be held on 8 June.

For 78 percent of EU citizens, the primary objective for Brexit negotiations should be to protect the interests of the remaining EU27, while only 22 percent say the priority should be negotiating a new trading relationship with Britain, according to a new opinion poll conducted by Red C Research for the European People's Party (EPP) Group in the European Parliament.

There may be an "EU Small Listed Companies Act" in the second quarter of next year to make the bloc a more attractive location for companies to go public, it said. The detailed negotiating mandate will be presented for adoption at a European Council summit on 22nd May, pointed out the President of the Commission Jean-Claude Juncker.

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May has said she wants a free trade agreement with the European Union that would include financial services, but the document suggests the bloc wants instead to replicate London's financial industry as much as it can.

But committing to keeping the public informed also shows the bloc's confidence that it already holds the upper hand before the negotiations get under way after the United Kingdom's June 8 election.

Adeleke's Death: Coroner Summons Commissioner Of Police
According to Alabi, his counsel was only served the summons on Tuesday, pleading that the evidence be adjourned till Friday. Rauf Aregbesola on May 2 signed an executive order setting up a coroner inquest into the death of Adeleke.


"Clearly, the fact that elections take place just before the start of the negotiations will give a clear stability and visibility to our United Kingdom partners".

Mrs May and her ministerial colleagues have repeatedly claimed no deal is better than a bad deal from the UK's point of view.

"The figure will depend on the methodology".

A list of papers which the European Union will disclose throughout the talks was revealed to the UK. "It is not [me] who will set a figure". "If we have higher or lower environmental regulations - I now want to remain quite neutral - in the European Union and Great Britain increases or decreases its environmental regulations, then that has an impact on competitiveness and then the European Union must be free to react".

"I'm going to do it perfectly calmly".

Sturgeon congratulates Macron after victory in French vote
Several candidates knocked out in the first round of votes publicly endorsed Macron, as did French President François Hollande. The result wasn't close - Macron had 64 per cent support with about 90 per cent of votes counted.


Mr Juncker also used a conference speech to joke that "English is losing importance in Europe" as he opted to speak in French instead.

He described a situation in which the details of confidential conversations were "blabbed to an opposition newspaper", adding: "And then a few days later, in a display of extreme petulance, you even deride the national language of the host - which, by the way, is looking a bit silly because last Saturday's extravaganza knowns as the Eurovision Song Contest saw 90% of the songs sung in English".

"I tell you something", Farage continued, pointing at Juncker, "your attempt to bully the Brits through this negotiation is not working".

The MEP said the European Union needs to make "grown-up, reasonable" demands. We can't spend two years with this farce, ' Farage told the legislature in Strasbourg.

Eddie Jones welcomes England's World Cup 'group of death'
England will be looking forward to it and I think we get to play them before, so that'll give us a good guideline". Pool A consists of Ireland, Scotland, Japan and two qualifiers (Europe 1 and Playoff Winner).


Like this: